A midnight fire has destroyed goods worth millions of naira at the popular Ladipo spare parts market in Lagos.
It was learnt that the fire started from a furniture workshop along Ladipo street, Mushin, but later spread to a warehouse where Toyota spare parts are stored.
- I’ve kept my campaign promises – Oyetola
- FOCAC: For an even stronger Africa-China community with a shared future
Sources said the fire which started as electric spark from the furniture workshop later extended to number 85, Ladipo Street by Fatai Atere way, Ladipo.
The South-West Coordinator of the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), Ibrahim Farinloye, who confirmed the incident, explained that the fire, which affected a three-storey building, continued to rage till Monday morning.
Farinloye said the security fortification of the building created serious obstruction and that it prevented rescuers access into the building.
He said the building which is still on fire poses serious safety threat, noting that the house has developed serious signs of safety concerns.
He said, “The building is said to have assorted Toyota auto spare parts. The fire was said to have started at a furniture workshop located behind the three storey building. It started as a electrical spark around 10:45pm on Sunday.
“Neighbours claimed that they were not aware that the spark could lead to fire, but by the time they realised the impact of the full fire outbreak, they could not handle it.
“Before Responders could arrive, the fire had spread to the 3 Storey building. No casualty recorded so far and rescue operations is currently ongoing.
“Officials of NEMA, the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA), officials of the state and Federal Fire Services, and Policemen are on ground to prevent urchins from looting traders properties.”