November 29, 2021

TrustTV

documenting the nigerian story…

FG vows to fully reclaim FESTAC town

The federal government said it will sustain efforts to secure the master plan of FESTAC Town from illegal occupants.

The Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of the Federal Housing Authority, Senator  Gbenga Ashafa made the disclosure at a meeting with stakeholders at the instance of the FHA zonal office in Lagos Wednesday.

The meeting was held after outcry over a recent demolition of the Agboju market, shanties and other illegal buildings on Buffer Zone in FESTAC Town.

Vice President, Nigerian Automobile Technicians Association (NATA), Amuwo Odofin LGA, Mr Isaac Kadiri was worried over the demolition.

“We have lost more than 100 million here. What we have lost here we can’t gain back. We have mechanics, battery chargers, vulcanizers, panel beaters and painters as our members.”

But Ashafa, who was represented by the South West Zonal Manager, Hakeem Olagbemiro, said: “This exercise is the clearing of illegal structures and not a demolition that is targeted at some churches as reported in some segments of the media.

“Anyone that claims to have an approval should bring it forward, but I want to assure you that FESTAC will return to its lost glory.”

He said the land had been allocated  over 28 years ago but the allottees have not been able to take possession due to the activities of the illegal occupants and a court case by the FESTAC Town Resident Association (FTRA).

Chairman of the Allottees, Otunba Kole Olatunji said: “The FHA allotted a place for them free of charge in 6th avenue and they refuse to move.”